Thursday, May 31, 2012

"You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked."  Revelation 3:17


"Waiting"


"Skyping with Joel"



"Tubing at the Lake"


"Laurel and Shamria swimming"


Two days ago, my blended family was normal and I didn't even know it.  We had a routine.  We have traditions.  We work together to achieve a common goal, whether it's getting to an activity together on time, celebrating that we didn't get an 'opp's note' at school, etc.  Normal things that happen in every family that we have worked so hard to achieve have quickly become "our new normal".  We have worked through so much and it's really only been about 10 months.  This time last year, I dreamed of getting my two brown babies home safe and sound.  On Thursday, May 24th, 2012, two worlds collided, again.  I didn't know that was what was happening but guess who did?  The MAN upstairs... He knew because HE has brought two of HIS most precious children to Alabama.  Why did HE do this?  Because HE loves us...The meeting at the airport was again surreal.  It was not like when Joan and Derrick came home but it was ordained by God.  Their flights were not delayed.  I did not have the relationship with these children like I had with Joan and Derrick.  The circumstances are definitely different.  They are here for medical needs...that's what I told myself anyway.  That's what I prepared for by sending email after email...it's all about helping the poor, the fatherless...Right?  I didn't realize that I was "wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked".  I'm going to journal as truthfully as I can because that is the only way I will be able to see truly how GREAT our GOD is.  As the girls were walking towards us, they had their heads down with "hoodies" on.  I couldn't see their faces.  I couldn't imagine their "excitement"...They looked exhausted and one of them looked scared to me.  I don't think she was but I would have been.  Maybe she was.   I reluctantly embraced them because they seemed so fragile.  I am a stranger to them.  They are a stranger to me.  They asked for two things before they left Uganda...Was there going to be ice cream on the plane and would Todd be at the airport waiting for them.  I don't know if they had ice cream or not but Todd was waiting for the girls at the gate and his excitement was contagious.  They were so happy to see him and Suzanne and we were all glad they finally made it safely.  We had a late lunch with Suzanne and a few others.  It was interesting to see the dynamics change immediately in my "new normal family".  I saw my brown children go back to Kabalagala.  Todd and I expected this.  If they were still living in Uganda, these 12 year old children would be my 5 and 7 year old children's care takers.  These 12 year old girls are considered "grown women" in their culture.   There is very little opportunity for them.  I'm sure they are in a bit of "culture shock".  So am I.   I will reluctantly share with you that Shamira will not look at me when she talks to me.  When I call her name, she sometimes runs from me and hides, even locked the door on me once...( I do know how to turn those locks around.  We had to do that with Laurel and Joanie :)  She is still on a different time zone and I'm sure that will get better quickly.  We are now teaching Joan and Derrick that  Shamira is "not the boss" of them and we are teaching Shamira that "Todd and I are the boss of her".  I can't imagine how conflicted she must feel.  She is not used to having a bed or a home like the one she's in now.  She has been protecting herself for 12 years...her entire life and now the "muzunga's" are trying to tell her what to do and what NOT to do...Maybe she'd rather be poor again but God said "NO".  He has blessed our lives with each other and I will obey HIM.  It will not be easy.  It is going to be exhausting but we will glorify the LORD with our suffering.  (I do think we are going to suffer.)  Unfortunately, God knows I drift if I'm not seeing HIS cross right in front of me.  I will see HIS cross through these precious children.  I pray that I can reflect the same unconditional love that HE has for me to them.  They are going to endure a lot.  There is no way they can comprehend this.  They are not supposed to.  I think it could be through the medical journey when they realize, "we need these muzunga's".  God has called our family to love them through it.  He knows we can and I pray that we will.  It will be a choice to love them well, not a feeling always.  We are trying not to look past today because that's all we have.  We took the girls to the lake.  They had never been swimming before and they were so excited.  They warmed up to the water as the day went on and they were sad to leave.  Every moment is a "disney world" moment to them.  They have had their first warm shower, ridden their first bike, eaten ice cream whenever they wanted, slept in beds, all things my prideful self think I deserve daily.  So, our Great Creator brought these girls to Eagle Valley Lane to once again reveal my pride because HE loves me and HE continues to pursue me.  I can't seem to talk HIM out of it :)

Praising God From Whom All Blessings Flow,

Amiee :)

No comments:

Post a Comment