Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"The Line"

"He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his ways.  All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful for those who keep the demands of his covenant."  Psalm 25: 9-10







     We went to Orange Beach for Columbus Day.  We had a GREAT time.  The kids loved the ocean!  They loved eating fish for every meal.  It was windy but the weather couldn't have been any better.  I didn't read a book but I did a lot of "people watching"...mostly "my people".  Derrick really wants to "catch a fish".  I think he has seen several "Little Bear" episodes and Father Bear is a fisherman.  Hopefully, soon we can take him fishing.  Coleman enjoyed the slower pace that is easy to find at the beach.  He stays so busy with school and sports.  I miss him so much because he's truly gone all of the time.  He is a gentle spirit that quiets my soul.  He is an amazing young man.  He carried all of the "heavy stuff".  God has equipped Joan and Derrick with an amazing brother that is great at guiding them gently.   Coleman probably doesn't read this blog but I love you Coleman and I'm so thankful and blessed that God choose me to be your momma.  Laurel...couldn't make it without her.  Joan counts on Laurel a lot.  They are so much a like...I'm sure they wouldn't like being "compared" but I will say that I have two very strong willed daughters that love the Lord.  They worship Him differently.  They have met Him on different paths but they both know HIM and will share how HE has blessed their lives.  Laurel knows the most sign language in our family.  I think that is why Joan is drawn to her.  I love to watch them together.  There's no doubt God equipped Laurel to be Joan and Derrick's sister.  Joan wakes up in the middle of the night and "sneaks" into Laurel's room to sleep with her.  Its so funny because Joan is so small and she loves to sneak up on everyone but she is the loudest person in the house.  She will even tell us to be quiet so she can "sneak" up on someone.  Todd had been waking up at 4:00a.m. every morning but he didn't know why.  I think that is about the time Joan "sneaks" into Laurel's room...that girl! 
     
 School is going good for Joan.  There is a common problem that she has....every day, day after day..."The Line".  She has not transitioned from the lines she waited in in Uganda (or didn't wait in) to the order and process of "lines" in America.  Waiting is hard for her.  The concept of a line leader and taking turns to her is like me trying to understand Lugandan.  Lugandan doesn't click for me and lining up without pushing and shoving doesn't click for her.  Please pray for the children in her class to be graced with extra compassion for her in this area because they are going to need it.  She can't wait in line for the swings on the playground.  She doesn't understand if she gets off the swings to "push a friend" and then goes back to the original swing she was on to find another "friend" swinging why she now has to "wait" her turn.  Oh Lord...it's so hard to understand "waiting".  It's hard to understand the process of order and how it affects us.  The rest of the mommas in the "carpool line" are hoping and praying that their kindergartners are learning to read and write.  I'm praying that my baby keeps her hands to herself and begins to understand the concept of "grace" while waiting in "line".  She is so smart and I have asked myself why this is so hard for her.  This is what I have come up with.  Being first in line in Uganda means that you will probably get whatever is being handed out...bread, porridge or maybe medicine.  I handed out "bread" many times when I was at Rays of Hope.  I get teary eyed thinking about this.  These children lined up without pushing or shoving.  They lined up smallest to tallest.  They received the bread with both hands cupped together and after they had the bread in their hands, they kneeled to say thank you...every time...no matter what, they gave thanks to the Lord for what little they had.  There were times when we got to the end of the line, there was not enough bread for everyone.  Did those children get to go first the next time?  Probably not.  Did they get any bread the next time?  I don't know.  They didn't complain they just smiled and went about their day trusting in the Lord to provide for them what they needed.  Joan learned to find her place in the front of the line and she never eats without making sure Derrick also has something to eat...that's another thing, she's eating off her best friends plate...we are working on this too.  She would give you the shirt off her back but she wants to be first in line at all costs.  I have learned in my own life when sin creeps up on me, it's usually from fear...fear of rejection, fear of failure, fear of not being good enough.  I have to remind myself that He died for me.  He shed his blood for me.  My redeemer lives!  I am forgiven!  I can't say why this is so difficult for Joan to line up but my guess is there is some fear involved in being in the back of the line.  God has handpicked this class of "friends" and OMES for Joans just like he hand picked Laurel, Coleman and Derrick to be her brothers and sister.  He will equip them to teach her how to line up.  He has chosen the sweetest group of loving teachers that I could have hoped for to love her through the "fear" of lining up.  I know it's exhausting for them but thankful they are professionals that have handled "lining up" before.  Learning to "line up" is humbling Joan and I.  He is guiding us in what is right and HE is teaching us HIS ways. HE is loving and faithful.  We will keep the demands of HIS covenant!  By the grace of God, we will learn to "line up" without hurting our friends.  Lord, teach us to line up behind YOU every time, no matter where and when that may be. :)

In His precious name,
Amiee

No comments:

Post a Comment