Saturday, September 10, 2011

"Hearing aids may be like scrambled eggs..."

Psalm 139: 2-4 "You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.  You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways.  Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, you know it altogether."
The best sister in the world, "Laurel".
The most loving brother in the world, "Coleman"!

This week in Alabama it turned "cold"...the temperature was 55-58 degrees and Joan and Derrick went outside and came back in and said, "momma, it's cold outside!"  We ran to Belk and got pants and jackets for them.  They have probably never experienced colder weather than 50 degrees in their lives.  Are they going to be in for a surprise in a couple of months!  Joan told me last Wednesday she was ready to start school.  She sees Coleman and Laurel go to school everyday.  I think we are close to being ready for school.  Derrick said he does not want to go to school.  He is happy with his cars and trains all day.  He enjoys his afternoon nap and sometimes will remind me that "it's time for me to sleep."  Precious...every moment with all of my children is precious.  I miss Laurel and Coleman being home with me.  Joan and Derrick's relationship reminds me very much of Laurel and Coleman's relationship..."thick as thieves".  Todd and I saw the audiologist on Thursday.  I'm so thankful Todd went with me.  There is so much information to gather and still so much to consider.  We have changed gears from adoption, to raising orphans, to raising a deaf child.  Every layer is detailed and complicated.  Every layer is more information to process and pray about.  Joan has told us, "I do not want to hear.  I am happy the way I am."  We'll, she didn't want to try scrambled eggs until we made her and now she eats two or three a day as soon as she wakes up.  Maybe the hearing aids will be like the scrambled eggs, a nice surprise that has improved her quality of life.  She choose light pink with silver sparkles for the molds that will hold her hearing aids.  We will go back in 3 weeks and she will hear our voices for the first time.  What will that be like for her?  I get teary eyed thinking about it.  Todd and I have thought from the very beginning that her "deafness" protected her during her time in Uganda.   What will her deafness do for her for her life in America...in Birmingham, AL?  God only knows.  Discussing all the options for Joan to become "hearing" is more difficult than I thought... I know I can only process one day at a time.  I know God is putting people in our path that will show us the way.  HE is mapping it out for us.  I have to be still and listen to HIM and know that HE is in control.  HE has known from the beginning of time how HE intends to use her and her deafness.  I am praying that HE heals her...not from her deafness but from the scars from her past that she can't communicate to us.  I'm praying that I can learn sign language quickly and that I'm not to old to retain it.  I'm praying that I begin taking better care of myself so that I have the energy it takes to have a deaf member in my family.  It's more difficult than I thought it would be.  All of our communication is face to face.  When she closes her eyes, there is no communication except when I pick her up and hold her and remind her that I am here for her and that I love her no matter what.  She is strong willed and thank the good LORD for that because she is going to have to be to learn to communicate.  I pray that when Joan feels uncomfortable in the "hearing world", she feels the presence of the Lord in her life and that she will surrender to HIM, his will for her.  I pray that HE equips us, her family and the body of Christ, to support her and that I keep my eyes on HIM and not the world.  I have total faith in HIM and His design of my life.  HE is going to use Joan in a mighty way.  He has chosen Laurel as her sister and Coleman as her brother, Todd for her father and me for her mother.  It was not a coincidence but by HIS perfect design.  HE has known it all.  Lord, help me to rest in YOU today!  Help me to give all I have away!

In His precious name,

Amiee

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet! Sometimes we all would prefer to just stay the way we are...Beth Moore tells a great story about ducks splashing in the mud puddle when just over the knob beyond their sight is an amazingly beautiful pond...but they'll have to leave the puddle to ever find it. Praise God Joan has the right Mama Duck! I love your post & know better how to pray specifically for your family...

    ReplyDelete