Sunday, January 30, 2011

"Becoming A Champion"

What a beautiful weekend we have had, even though we were inside a gym that smelled of "wrestling" all weekend.  We went to the Metro Championship.  This is the tournament that we have worked for all season.  My prayer is always for no one to get hurt and as far as I could tell, other than a few bloody noses, no one went to the hospital.  Thank you Lord!  Our coaches have been great.  They have challenged the boys and pushed them to their potential.  Without sounding like sour grapes, we won the tournament but we didn't get the trophy.  However, when you are on top, and our team has been for the past 7 years, everyone else wants your spot.  In one of our matches, one of our boys was disqualified based on a judges/referees decision.  The move our guy did was not an illegal move but we were disqualified.  We lost all of the points from this players wins for the entire tournament.  We were all very disappointed, shocked and surprised to say the least.  I have to give our coaches so much credit.  They coached like the champions that they have taught our boys to become.  The coach told them "It doesn't matter what the trophy says, ya'll won first place.  Well done."    For those of you that know me, I'm not a fan of wrestling.  But I have to say, the examples these coaches have been to Coleman and the person they have challenged him to become I am a fan of.  Wrestling has taught them to be their best even when someone's not looking. (Thanksgiving break workouts that we stressed over because we lost our workout sheet) Wrestling has taught us that conditioning is critical and it's not negotiable.  Wrestling has taught us to do your best and finish strong.  Last night, our boys learned that who you are in the world, isn't who you are in Christ.  A trophy doesn't make you a champion!   Training our faith should no less of a commitment than we train to wrestle.  The "things" of the world, the kind of house we live in, where we work, or what team you pull for doesn't make you a champion.  It's who you are in Christ that makes you a champion!  I was so proud of every player on the team because they handled a very confusing decision that was not in their control like champions!  What a great season we had!  Now, do I want Coleman to wrestle next year?  Absolutely NOT!  I think it's the most stressful sport I've ever watched.  But, if Coleman gets the chance to be "coached" by these coaches again, I will prayerfully consider this decision because the example those men demonstrated last night made my season GREAT!  Go Eagles!  There is really no new information from Joan and Derek this week.  I think about them all of the time and I wonder what they are doing.  I've had a little anxiety about "when" we can bring them home.  We are still in the process of the home study.  That should take at least 6 more weeks.  I started learning sign language this week.  I had a great time with Michelle, my teacher.  I went to Books a Million and got a book and some flashcards.  Laurel, Todd and I sat at Jim and Nicks one night and studied our flash cards during dinner.  Will I ever be able to learn it all?  I don't know.  I am still praying that when Joan gets here, God will heal her deafness completely.  I believe that He can.  It warms my heart that Todd wants to look at their pictures every night.  I'm sure after Spring Break, we will have more new photos of them.  I feel like we have memorized their faces.  We think we already know them.  We pray for their protection all of the time.  I go through a range of emotions from complete peace to complete anxiety.  I know the peace comes from God and the anxiety comes form Satan so I am learning to choose peace more often.  God is so gracious to me.  He is holding me accountable and I am thankful.  There have been some challenges that have been presented to me that I could have chosen fear but I chose to trust instead.   I have to give Him the praise for these victories.  I know that Satan is trying to get a foothold into this situation and he will try anything to ruin our joy.  I feel your prayers.  I feel the love of Christ.  I know that God's timing is perfect.  I know that He is in control of our family.  I choose to rest in His grip today.  I choose to trust Him with Joan and Derek because they are His children, just like Laurel and Coleman are His children.  He shares them with me.  I don't have to touch these children to love them and pray for them.  I don't have to see them to adore them.  God's love is powerful and complete.  God's love and timing are perfect. I am a believer!  I am going to finish strong, just like I've been coached!

Love,

Amiee

Phillipians 3:13 " I am still not all that I should be....but I'm focusing all my energies on this one thing:  Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead.""

No comments:

Post a Comment