Monday, January 24, 2011

And then there where two!

Skyping is amazing technology.
See us in the bottom left corner.  Derek, Joel and Joan

The news of our new addition to the Reeves family spread quickly.  I can't tell you how many good wishes and encouragement we have received from so many people.  The kids and Todd were so excited.  I was excited too but I guess I know how many "things" have to fall in line for all of this to take place.  I know our God is big enough to get this done.  I know he is calling me to follow him.  I know he is teaching me to sit back and relax.   He has been asking me for years to "cast my anxiety upon Him".  I'm a slow learner.  Thankfully, our God is gracious and He has given me many chances.   Watching all of this unfold is more fun than watching any "drama" on t.v.  Suzanne had mentioned "skyping" the kids and the grandmother.  We were all very excited about getting to see them and get to know each other.  I still had "grandmother" on my heart.  I was getting anxious about meeting her.  What do you say to someone that is going to make the most selfless sacrifice I can imagine?  Thank you just doesn't seem enough.  We set the skype up for Sunday morning at 8:00 a.m.  That's 5:00 p.m. in Kabalagala.  We decided to ask some of our friends and their children to join us for a brief time of prayer before we called Joel.  I have to tell you, the presence of the Lord was with us in that room.  I prayed for the grandmother.  Another person prayed for adoption and what special meaning that has in the eyes of the Lord.  Another prayed for God to guide us in the process and that we would have confirmation with out doubt that this decision would be pleasing to the Lord.  At 8:00a.m., Suzanne called Sozo, the orphanage, on the computer.  Joel didn't have the capability to skype from Rays of Hope School so he picked the kids up in a taxi and drove them about 30 minutes to Sozo, just to meet us.  I was uneasy about talking to Derek.  We were still thinking we wouldn't take him because we didn't feel led by God to do so.   I wanted to take him but I wanted to be sure it was for the right reasons.  I can't imagine having to split Laurel and Coleman up.  But, God was clear to me.  It was time in my life to let Todd be the spiritual leader in our family.  I had to "submit" to my husband who is the love of my life.  Again I said to God, "I will".  Again, God was faithful.  Because of traffic it took Joel a little longer to get to the orphanage.  In the mean time, we got to talk to the 17 precious children that live at Sozo.  They were the most polite, happy, well rounded children of all ages I have ever seen.  I don't know what happen to their families but their hope is in the Lord.  They are happy because they have a safe place to stay.  They are happy because they aren't living on the streets with no food or shelter.  Again, God revealed my pride to me.  I was humbled.  Talking and laughing with these children helped my nervousness.  Finally, Joel arrived with the children but without their grandmother.  Joel sat down and Joan had the biggest smile on her face.  She seemed very comfortable around Joel and she seemed to know that something special was happening.  Joel said she was excited because she thought she was going to leave to come with us on that day.  Then, Suzanne asked Joel to put Derek in his lap too so we could see him.  My heart melted for that little boy.  He looked quiet and shy, just like Coleman.  Both of them were so well mannered.  They communicated with each other.  Derek would "sign" to Joan and they would nod their heads at each other and they always smiled.  They have no material posessions but they never stoped smiling and laughing.  Joan's laugh was contagious.  If you want to see the skype, you can go to my facebook page and it is listed as "skyping in Africa this morning".  I haven't learned how to get video on this blog yet.  Anyway, during one part of our conversation, Joan signs to Joel "is Derek coming with me."  My eyes filled up with tears and God just kept saying, "be submissive to your husband.  I am faithful."  I can say without doubt, my eyes were truly focused on the Lord during the exchange.  When Joan asked the question, which Derek could hear and understand because he speaks English, I answered, "we are still praying for Derek."  I couldn't make a promise that I might not be able to keep and I didn't want to put Todd on the spot in front of everyone in the room.  I would have done that back in "the day".  God is growing me in this area of my life and I am thankful.  When the skype was over, Suzanne asked us "What are your thoughts on Derek?"  I turned and looked at Todd and I said, "What are your thoughts on Derek?"  My heart was pounding.  He said, "We are not spliting them up."  I have learned after 20 years of marriage don't assume that he means what I think he means.  I said, "What do you mean?"  He said, "we are bringing both of them back."  Laurel had tears streaming down her face.  I tried to keep myself together and Todd was very emotional as well.  Coleman smiled the biggest grin. God confirmed his faithfulness to me by Todd's unselfishness to say yes to bringing Derek home.  He confirmed to me that I could be a submissive wife.  He confirmed to me that His ways our higher than mine.  Why haven't I been trusting in Him like this my whole life?  Because the world wants me think that "I" am in control.  The world wants me to think "I" deserve better. The world wants me to focus on myself and not on my Father.   After seeing these orphans, I pray that I will never look at "what I deserve" the same again.  Thank you Father for humbling me!

Love,
Amiee

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:  to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."  James 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment