Friday, July 8, 2011

"Seeing them face to face"

"Ask and it will be given to you; see and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."  Matthew 7:7-8

This is the hardest blog to write...the first face to face meeting with Joan and Derrick seemed like it took forever but now that we are together, I can't remember life without them.  The first flight was directly to Amsterdam.  It took 8 hours.  We had a three hour layover there which didn't seem long at all.  Then, our next flight was 9 hours from Amsterdam to Kigali.  That is when I began to realize how far away we have actually been from each other.  Skyping has made us feel so close but if I have to leave these children behind, it will be more difficult than I imagined.  I keep telling myself, God has a plan and His plan is perfect.  When we got to Entebe, it was really hot and humid.  We waited in line for a visa (about 30 minutes).  Then we had to get our luggage and thankfully all 12 bags made it.  We loaded them up on carts and headed for the lobby.  I didn't know where they would be or how far away we were from them but my stomach had butterflies and I prayed I wouldn't cry because I didn't want them to think I was upset.  I was pushing the cart of luggage and from around a group of people, Joan spotted me and ran to me and jumped into my arms.  I could hear Derrick saying "Cole mon, Cole mon".  By the time I saw him, I was holding Joan and Coleman was holding Derrick.  It was so late for them to be up.  Before we left the airport parking lot...maybe 15 minutes, Joan was asleep in my arms.  She knew exactly who we were and why we were there.  On the way to SOZO, she would sleep, then wake up, touch my face and lay her head back down.  My first impression of both of them was that they were smaller than I expected them to be.  Joan is tiny!  She has slept with me every night. Derrick sleeps with Todd on the top bunk in our room.  It was a surreal meeting that I will never forget.  Joel was disappointed.  He told me, "Joan and Derrick stole my show".  He is just as precious in person as I knew he would be.  We got up early the next day (I can't remember what day that was) and went to buy a phone and exchange money.  Needless to say when we went to buy a phone, the cashier told us that some of the money we had just gotten from the bank was counterfeit.  When she showed it to us, we could easily tell the difference.  We were eagerly awaiting our first trip to Rays of Hope.  I felt like we would never get there.  We walked through some areas that I don't think my mind has processed yet.  People knew Joan.  Todd was caring her through the crowd.  She was proud, you could tell.  I was worried about seeing the children at ROH because what would I tell them about adopting her and Derrick and not them?  How do you explain to children that just want to eat about suffering and why we suffer?  I prayed that the Lord would equip us when we faced the children.  We finally came to ROH.  There was a locked gate.  Joel unlocked the gate and some children lead us inside.  They gave each of us roses...a lot of roses....I was so humbled I still can't write about it and give that moment  the justice it deserves.  It really may take me getting home and then a couple of months to be able to articulate the experience we had there.  They did traditional African dances.  The had chairs set up for us.  Their choir sang.  Their drums played.  Then, when I least expected it, they made us dance with them.  The sweet girl that helped me said if I came back, she would teach me to dance.  I really can't dance.  I watched them "take their porridge".  I will definitely post a picture of this later because it looked terrible.  They also ate a piece of bread.  They lined up perfectly and didn't push, shove or act impatient.  They didn't waist a drop.  When they were finished, every cup was put back in it's place...all 300 of them.  When Joel said it was time to eat, Joan and Derrick lined up.  I wondered what they would do when we were there.  Joan never left our side.  When we got ready to leave, we couldn't find Derrick.  He had gone to his classroom with the 50 other kids his age.  He was sitting on the back row.  I'm sure he doesn't understand what we are all about.  Right now, he is just going along with it.  He will have a harder time than Joan will.  Joan said goodbye to her old life at Entebe Airport on June 23rd.  Derrick loves his new family but he will have to learn what "family" means.  They have been used to taking care of each other.  I'm so thankful we didn't have to split them up.  They would be lost without each other.  The SOZO house is amazing.  The kids do their chores everyday and they are one big family.  They will be the ones to change Uganda.  They will be the leaders that will make a difference for their communities.  Esau is 11 years old and he is amazing.  The other boys look to him for guidance.  He and Coleman have been spending time together.  I'm anxious to hear Laurel and Coleman's perspective of Africa.  They have embarrassed this experience and haven't complained one minute.  We have nothing to complain about.    We are blessed beyond comprehension!  Todd is beginning to try and figure out how we can come back and make a difference.  I am still trying to embrace our new family members and imagine what life for them is going to be like in a different place.  I have a lot to pray about.  I'm excited to see how this part of the journey is going to go.  I'm thankful I am here and I am blessed beyond measure.  God has opened this door!
Love, Amiee

3 comments:

  1. Just so thankful for the way God sets the lonely in families and fulfills His purpose in weaving your family together. He is good and worthy of all praise. Bless Hs name that Joan and Derrick will officially be Reeves soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetest Amiee...your story has dissolved me to tears! I can hear your heart and see Jesus shining through your words. If you do NOTHING else in this lifetime, everything you have done for Joan and Derrick...for the other children at ROH...stands as a beautiful testimony of God's love. I am so proud to be praying you through this...to be sitting on the sidlines, cheering you on as you press toward the finish line. Run, Amiee....run! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee... thank you for sharing your experience. I can almost see where you are and feel the emotions that are in your heart. How amazing to be where you are... My prayers are with you and your family... all of them... as you embrace this next chapter of your life. You are truly a woman of God who lives the love of Jesus... Thank you for being such an inspiration, not only to these precious children whose lives you are changing, but for your friends who are watching your dream unfold. You are a blessing... Love you!

    ReplyDelete