Saturday, April 9, 2011

"8 Shots = Perseverance"

Romans 5: 2-5 "And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit whom he has given us."

This may be my favorite picture from the 500 that I have from Suzanne's last trip to Africa.  She told me that this picture was from her first day there and Joan and Derrick were with them from this point on.  I see Joan and Derrick wear these clothes a lot.  They have other clothes but I'm thinking that these are either their favorites or these are their "best".  This is at "Rays of Hope" school.  This place is where many of the children get their only food for the day.  This place is where they are loved by Joel and others that are trying to make a difference in their lives one child at a time.  I have seen the commercials for years with Sallie Struthers "Save The Children" but the children never felt real to me.  The children are real and they are our children.  It's hard for me to speak to some of this because I haven't been there to see for my self how much suffering there really is. I can only see through someone else's camera lense what is happening on the other side of the world.  When I look into some of these children's eyes from pictures, I see suffering.  I know there is an abundance of hunger.  But, I also I see a purity that has to come from the Holy Spirit.  I see eyes that trust.  I see eyes that love.  I see a GREAT need!  I have seen Joan and Derrick share a piece of bread for dinner.  I don't know if they were hungry or not but they were more interested in playing with Laurel and Coleman through skype while they shared their piece of bread.  The suffering that God is producing is in me right now, not the children.  The suffering that God is producing is refining my character, (I hope) and I will persevere because of our Heavenly Father.  I will not be disappointed in the outcome of this process.  I will learn to stop relying on myself because I am powerless.  God will not disappoint me because He has poured out his love into my heart by the Holy Spirit whom he has given me.  I am praying that I am going to be obedient to serving our Heavenly Father.  I have to share with you that even though I pray that God blesses me with Joan and Derrick as being their momma, I don't think that's what this is all about.  This will just be one blessing of being obedient to Him.  I think there's more He's going to reveal to all of us through Joan, Derrick, Rays of Hope and SOZO!  I tend to put God in a box and I think "that will never happen to me".  Well guess what, it is and it's going to continue.  Please prayerfully consider what God may be calling each of us to do through this opportunity we have been given to serve Him.  It's going to be exciting I can promise you that!

I can't wait to see what God has in store for me next week.  It's Saturday morning and Joel called at 4:15 a.m. to skype.  I love to see them anytime but a nap this afternoon is looking good to me.  Joan was wearing a dress that I hadn't see her wear before and she looked beautiful.  Derrick was dancing and singing.  Joel had on his "casual" clothes because I guess on Saturday, he's not "working".  He's probably there because he has a passion for these children that is amazing and contagious.  He has told me his friends don't understand why he loves these children and why he's dedicated his life to these children.  He told me it's because he knows from God that there is hope in these children.  He's not a dad or an uncle as far as I know.  He's just Joel, one of God's faithful servants.  I am sure God had a smile on his face the day he created "Saka Joel"!


Last week we got 22 shots total in our family.  I am thankful we have that behind us.  I got 8, Todd got 8 and Laurel and Coleman got 3 each.  Our arms are bruised and we are still taking Advil but whatever we have to do to get these children home safely we are going to do.  I was thankful when we woke up this morning that the US government decided not to shut down.  PLEASE PRAY THAT DHR APPROVES OUR HOME STUDY ASAP SO WE CAN GET APPOINTMENTS WITH USCIS FOR OUR IMMIGRATION PAPERS.  Joel has a big meeting on Thursday with the lawyers.  Please pray that God will show favor on this meeting.  These prayer requests are not listed in order of importance.  Please pray for an extra hedge of protection around Joan and Derrick.  Pray that they are safe and protected from evil.  Pray that the decisions we make don't impact them in a negative way and that God will continue to show favor upon them.

God has continued to teach me He is faithful!  God is continuing to teach me not to rely on myself.  Our God is big and our God is Amazing!  Have a blessed week everyone!

In His Grip!

Amiee

No comments:

Post a Comment