Sunday, October 28, 2012

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of knowledge of him.  For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing."  2 Corinthians 2:14-15."

It's been a while since I've written... not because I haven't had anything to write about.  I have tried to take this time to pause with my blogging and see if I could go deeper with my perspective.  I struggle so much with the depth of scripture.  It's so rich and every time I read my bible, the Holy Spirit penetrates my heart more than I expected and I love the Lord more than I did the moment before and again, my sinful heart is revealed.  My theme doesn't change.  I need the Lord more than I thought I did and thankfully, HIS hand is always there for me to take.

Yesterday, I had a unique moment and I want to write about it before I forget the details.  I promise I will try and write a blog next week about the entire family but this was one of those moments that I don't need to forget.  I'm already teary :)  Joan has been in school for about one year.  One year ago, she had no "language".  Yes, she could communicate and she did it well but as far as an official language, she had none.  I remember the day I was parked in front of Oak Mountain Middle School and Joel sent me a picture of her.  She was tiny wearing a little red dress reaching up on a tattered chalkboard writing her name for the first time.  His comment to me was something like "if she can write, she can learn".  Joel may have been the first person in her life to believe in this little girl who could not hear.  He saw her worth and her value when many around her did not.  Oh Joel, I will love you forever for your love for Joanie. :)  Fast forward a little over a year.  Yesterday, we had a video phone installed for Joan.  This means that she now has a phone in the kitchen.  It's a flat screen t.v. that is connected through the internet.  If she calls you, she is physically standing in the kitchen signing to an interpreter who is her voice to whomever is on the other end of the phone.  If she calls a friend who is deaf and they also have a video phone, they have a spit screen and they sign to each other directly.  (Forgive me my deaf friends that know this system.  That may not have been an accurate description of how the system works exactly.)  Anyway, Joan's new friend Jerry came to install the system yesterday.  She greeted him at the front door.  At first she was not sure about him but as soon as he started signing to her, she became all about Jerry.  I regret not taking their picture together :(  Anyway, Jerry installed our system.  For the 3 hours that he was in our home, Joan was beginning to figure out what all of this was and what it would mean in her life.  I still didn't comprehend what this new phone system would mean in my life and really hadn't thought about that perspective.  When Jerry was ready to test the system, he suggested that I go outside on with my cell phone and he and Joan would call me.  This would be our first call.  I walked to the end of my driveway and my cell phone rang.  A lady came on the line and she was "voicing" for Joan.  Even though it was a lady, she was voicing what Joanie was signing.  She said, "Mommy, this is Joan.  I love you. I love you.  I want to carve pumpkins."  My child had a voice yesterday.  My child was able to talk to me when I wasn't looking at her.  Yes, there was a brief, brief moment I grieved her hearing again...it was bitter sweet.  But, God is SOOOO GOOD!  I talked back to the lady and she was signing to Joan and I know Joan understood that the lady's signing was me talking to Joan.  It was humbling that I could not talk to her myself but the Lord's provision was perfect and I'm so thankful for this technology.  I had tears in my voice, the lady signing for us had tears in her voice and I walked back in the house and Jerry had tears also.  Joan was soooo excited and she completely understood what was happening.  Joanie wanted to begin calling all of her friends and she did make a few calls.  We had a different interpreter each time we made a different call and each time, I could see how this child of God, spread the Love of Christ without a voice but with the most beautiful signing and expressions that I have ever seen.  God enlarged her territory yesterday with her new phone.  She was happy talking with the interpreter's.  She asked each one of them their name.  They are not suppose to give out their name but one of them (who was deaf) told her his name but asked her to keep it a secret.  She loved this because she's learning to keep secrets...We have to practice this before Christmas or she will tell every gift that she purchases for everyone.  Anyway, maybe you will get a call from Joan.  It may make you uncomfortable because you will have to depend on an interpreter...but isn't that what the Holy Spirit is...an interpreter so that we can let God penetrate our hearts and minds even more?  It's okay to feel uncomfortable when Joan calls you on her new phone.  It's okay to admit you need help talking to her but don't let pride inhibit a relationship with her.  This is her way of communicating and I promise you will be blessed when you experience it with her.  The Lord has enlarged her territory.  I'm humbled by his provision.  "But thanks be to God, who ALWAYS lead us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him."  Father, help us to spread the good news of YOU and the sweetness of YOUR love for us.  Help all of our words and actions be pleasing to YOU!  Help us to always choose YOU!

Love to ALL!

Amiee :)

2 comments:

  1. Sweet, sweet provision! I had no idea such technology existed. What a beautiful picture you've painted of the moment & of the greater picture...I love a good analogy & this is one of the best....thank you, as always, for sharing your heart & life & Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful story! I am a teacher of special needs children and the little things that we all take for granted are always noticed and appreciated by them. Little accomplishments that we don't notice or celebrate are sometimes a mountain that they have successfully climbed. So sweet and uplifting!

    ReplyDelete